VOIP License under DOT
VOIP License or VOIP is Voice over Internet Protocol that uses software and hardware to allow telephonic calls through the internet as a transmission medium in the form of packets using IP instead of PSTN (traditional Circuit transmissions.
With the help of VoIP, the cost of making a call especially the international calls has considerably reduced to nothing. It is also referred to as Internet Telephony, Voice over the Internet (VOI) or IP telephony. CoolTalk, NetMeeting, etc are some applications used for VoIP.
The voice over Internet Protocol inter-connection charges will be set by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India after amendments are made by the Department of Telecom in a unified license framework. The inter-connection charges have to be paid by a telecom company for allowing its subscriber to make a call which gets added in the final price to be paid by the subscriber to the company.
After a lot of struggle from various telecom companies, on April 1, 2002, the Government of India finally permitted Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to allow internet telephony services to be offered in India. Earlier if the ISP provides internet telephony then their license could be revoked. However, now the gate is open for business. The Department of Telecommunication has granted licenses and approval to many telecommunication companies so that they can start these services. In spite of having poor service in comparison to long-distance services, the consumer will be attracted to it more as they are cost-effective.
The DOT has also revised the ISP License Agreement to include the internet telephony services provision. The Indian Telegraph Act, 1855, the TRAI Act, 1997 and the Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act 1933 was responsible for issuing this authority to the DOT.
The telemarketers and OSP registration are done by TERM (Telecom Enforcement Resource and Monitoring) cells as per the telemarketing/OSP center.
It is the responsibility of the Access Service Providers to ensure that the registration papers of the customers are valid and issued from the DOT’s OSP cell before forwarding it to the telecom resources. If they failed to adhere to the above requirement then action will be taken against them. The application for amendment/ registration should be submitted by the applicants in the Form-1 Performa that is prescribed in the Annexure.
What are the conditions for using VOIP License in India?
Using VOIP is legal in India as far as its VOIP gateways are not inside India. That is if people are making a call from PC to PC then there is no problem but if the person tries to call a number from PC then the gateways that convert VOIP calls to POTS call is not permitted to be inside India. Also, it is illegal to use foreign-based VOIP server Services.
The internet telephony is permitted to the ISP in the interest of International Long Distance Operators and Access Service Provider. However, there are certain restrictions imposed. The nature, kind and scope of Internet Telephone are considered different from real-time Voice that other Long Distance Carriers and Access Service provider offers. Therefore only following Internet Telephony types are permitted in India.
- PC to PC.
- PC/Adapter / A device (like IETF or ITU) conforming to international agencies standard in India to PLMN/PSTN abroad.
- Any adapter or device conforming to international agencies standard and is connected to the ISP node with Static IP address.
- No Separate Numbering Scheme is provided to the internet telephony.
- The license to have PLMN/PSTN connectivity is not allowed for Internet Service.
What was the CISCO Scam all about?
Cisco generally sells two types of Phones one is license and comes with the CH1 model number but unlicensed phones are available as a replacement phone that does not have a model number.
The scam initiated when even on purchasing the phone that was to be used for call manager network the dealer sent the spare model that is not licensed and numbered as CP-7940G instead of 7940G-CH1. Most people not knowing the difference accept it while at the same time they have paid for the licensed one. Therefore it is important to check and demand the right model and phone.
On enquiring about it from the deal the dealer will present you either with excuses or will provide you with the End User License Agreement (EULA) and call it Call Manager License. This is nothing but fraud and no one should fall for it and should return the phone immediately. If you ignore it then not only are you paying more than you bargained for but also, you violate the Cisco Software Licensing policies and will have to pay the license upgrade fines.
What major changes did Telecom Company undergo since 1991?
Telecom companies have traveled a long distance and have undergone many changes since it began its journey. In 1991 the government permitted to manufacture switches for the telephone exchange. In 1992 the license to start cellular services in metro cities was made open by DOT. In 1993 the DoT hired ICICI to prepare a report on private participation possibility in the telecommunication sector. In 1994 the National Telecom Policy 1994 came into existence with the following criteria for private operator’s entry;
- Companies Track Record.
- Technology compatibility.
- The interest of National security protected.
- Best service to customers even at a competitive cost.
- Commercial terms attractiveness in the eye of DOT.
- In 1995, first mobile services started in Calcutta.
- In 1998 internet Service was rolled out in the form of Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited (VSNL).
- In 1999 New National Telecom Policy was formed.
- In 2001 license for cellular Services using wireless in Local Loop (WLL) was launched on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- In 2002 the first International Long Distance Telephony (ILDT) services license was given by DOT to private operators.
- In 2003 calling Party Pay (CPP) was introduced. Also, Unified Access Service Licensing was introduced by DOT on the TRAI recommendation.
- In 2007 Dot allowed license for duel technologies i,e. CDMA and GSM and ISP’s were also issued a license with the VOIP restriction.
- In 2011 Mobile Number Portability was introduced by Government.
- In 2012 National Telecom Policy 2012 with Unified Licensing Regime was introduced.