GET IN TOUCH
Over a period of time with the growth of the publishing industry and awareness about ISBN, the request for ISBN has increased exponentially. Efforts have been made from time to time to streamline the operations of the agency which caters to the requirement of the applicants of the entire country.ISBN or International Standard Book Number is a unique identifier number which is displayed in barcode format on publications like books on their back cover. An ISBN is a product that is used by publishers, booksellers and libraries for ordering, listing and stock control purposes. It enables them to identify a particular publisher and allows the publisher to identify a specific edition of a specific title in a specific format within their output.
ISBN is in the form of 13 digits, consisting of 5 elements separated by spaces and hyphens ex. ISBN No. 978-81-8038-835-4 indicates following information:
- Ist element- Denotes a specified prefix element (978).
- IInd element- Identifies the particular country or geographical area (81).
- IIIrd element- Identifies the particular publisher (8038).
- IVth element- Identifies the particular edition, format of a specific title (835).
- Vth element- Check digit (4).
In simple words, ISBN is a product number required to assist in internal processing and ordering while book selling. Further, it provides access to bibliographic data bases used by the book industry and libraries to provide information.ISBN can be applied by publisher of the book, author of the book if he decides to publish the book himself.
Agency responsible to allot ISBN
In India, ISBN is allotted through the National ISBN Agency. Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Agency for ISBN is responsible for ISBN registration in the country and is affiliated to UK based International Agency. It is under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education, Book Promotion and Copyright Division.
Different Products for which ISBN is allotted
ISBN is assigned for the following products:
- Monographic works (books) that are textual and/or have an instructional content
- Publications not intended by the publisher to be updated regularly
- Individual articles
- Educational instructions, films, videos including audio books not purely for entertainment
- Electronic publications, mixed media text based publications
- Print on demand publications
- Set of volumes or packs of books
Following are the advantages for which you must get ISBN:
- Unique international identifier for monographic publications.
- Assigning ISBN replaces handling of long bibliographic descriptive records-saving time, reducing staff costs & coping errors.
- Correct use different product forms to be clearly differentiated, enabling comparisons between different subject areas, publishing houses.
- Facilitates compilation and updating of book trade directories and bibliographic databases.
- Fast and efficient method of ordering and distribution of books, managing sale system in shops, supply chain systems, managing sales data, stock control.
- Ensures that the book is widely known.
Following documents are mandatorily required to receive an ISBN
- ID Proof of Author
The author must provide the copy of its PAN, Aadhar Card or Voter ID etc. while applying for the registration.
- Content of Book
The complete content which as stated in the book must be provided at the time of registration
- Complete description of the book like cover page and title of the book
Provide the copy of the cover page and the title of the book in the specific format while applying for registration
- Details of publisher and Printer
Last but not the least, you need to provide the details of the publisher who publish the book along with the details of the printer
The following registration process needs to be followed for ISBN:
- Register on ISBN website
The very first step while registering for ISBN is to visit the official website www.isbn.gov.in. Thereafter, you need to click on the option “New Applicant Registration” and fill the form by providing your email id and submit the same. Further, you will receive the User name and Password to login into the system.
Now since you have received your user name and password on your registered email id, you need to login into the system and follow the steps as displayed. You would be advised to change the password as per your convenience.
- Filling the form and uploading documents
After successfully logging into the system, you would now be required to fill the form with requisite details and have to upload the documents in jpeg/pdf format with maximum size not increasing 100kb. Post that, click on the save button and submit it to the agency.
- Issue of ISBN Number
Once you submit the application, you need to wait for some time post which ISBN number will be allotted to you. The system will send a notification regarding this to your registered email id. However, in case any clarification is required by the Agency, the system will indicate the same and you need to modify it accordingly.
- Submit Book Details
After issue of ISBN Series by the Agency the system will display the application status as ALLOTTED and then you will be required to fill the book details. Now to receive the ISBN numbers from the issued series the Applicant has to provide the Book Details so as to get the ISBN numbers each published book by clicking on NEW BOOK DETAILS Button. The Applicant will be able to submit the book details in 2 ways i.e.
- Submit single book details by clicking on ADD NEW BOOK link
- Submit multiple / all book details in one go by clicking on BULK UPLOADING link.
After updating book details the Applicant has to finally submit the details to Agency by checking the boxes adjacent to each book details clicking on SUBMIT TO AGENCYbutton
In case you have earlier applied for ISBN Numbers through this online system then in that case you can apply for fresh ISBN Numbers only after consumption of 90% of allotted ISBN Numbers.
How can we help in getting registration?
Our services include:
- ISBN in minimum time
- Documents collection and uploading
- Regular updates
- End to end solution
- Free Consultancy
- 24*7 Customer support
- Drafting of documents
01. What is an ISBN?
An ISBN is an International Standard Book Number.
02. What is the purpose of an ISBN?
An ISBN is a product that is used by publishers, booksellers and libraries for ordering, listing and stock control purposes. It enables them to identify a particular publisher and allows the publisher to identify a specific edition of a specific title in a specific format within their output.
03. Why do we need an ISBN?
There is no legal requirement for an ISBN and it conveys no legal or copyright protection. It is a product number.
04. What can you gain from an ISBN?
To sell publications through major bookselling chains, or Internet booksellers, most cases require an ISBN to assist in internal processing and ordering systems. The ISBN also provides access to bibliographic databases, which are organized using ISBN as references. These databases are used by the book industry and libraries to provide information to customers The ISBN therefore provides access to bibliographic details of the books that could help sales of publication.
0.5 Who is eligible for ISBN?
Any Publisher who is publishing a qualifying product for general sale or distribution to the market, any author whose name is indicated on the cover page of book along with title, Institutions against the Seminars and Conferences on a specified title.
0.6 How long does it take to get an ISBN?
The standard service time is at least two working days.
0.7 How many ISBNs do I need?
ISBNs are available in blocks for publishers and the smallest block is of 10 numbers. For an author, a single ISBN number is allotted against a single title. An ISBN is assigned to each edition and variation (except reprintings) of a book. For example, an e-book, a paperback and a hardcover edition of the same book would each have a different ISBN. Applicant(author) can apply for more than one variation in the same application. The ISBN no to be allotted is the prerogative of the Raja Rammohun National Agency, which takes in account the publishing activity already done and proposed to be done in the future by the applicant.
0. 8 Can I pass on unused ISBNs to other users?
No. The ISBN is broken down into group identifier, publisher identifier and title identifier. This means that all ISBNs in the batch allocated shows publisher identifier, and all products identified by ISBNs from that batch will be considered as being published by that publisher.
0.9 Which products do not qualify for ISBNs?
The following products do not qualify for ISBNs:
- Serials/periodicals/journals (these are suitable for ISSN)
- Record books
- Videos DVDs or other media for entertainment.
- Documentaries on video/CD-ROM, DVD or other media.
- Computer games
- Computer application packages
- Music Scores
- Items available to a restricted group, e.g. a course book only available to student on the course.
- Non text-based publications.
10.What does Cover Page display?
Cover Page should display Title of the book Name of the Author/Editor
11. What is a Registered ID Proof of the publishing agency?
Following document can be considered as the registered ID proof of publishing Agency. CIN Certificate VAT Certificate MSME Udyog Aadhaar Any Certificate issued by State/Central Government Agency to Publishing Agency supporting their Publishing business/work.