GET IN TOUCH
FSSAI, better known as the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an Indian organization that monitors and governs the food businesses in India. It ensures that the food products go through quality checks thereby restricting the food adulteration and sale of sub-standard products. Moreover, it is responsible for the registration and licensing of the food business operators (FBO) in India and further provides the rules and regulations for running the food business in India.
Any entrepreneur who wants to start a business in the food sector which may include food processing or food manufacturing, packaging or distributing, has to register with Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI).FSSAI monitors and governs these businesses under the guidelines and regulations as listed in FSSAI Act 2006.
FSSAI Registration is different from FSSAI License depending on the size and nature of the business, a Food Business Operator (FBO) should obtain the necessary registration or license.
FSSAI number is a 14-digit registration or a license number that is printed on all kind of food packages.
A food license issued by the FSSAI is regarded as an authorization which is required to operate a food-related business in India. It ensures good quality of food. On the other hand, an FBO can receive number of government benefits and can be discharged from non-compliances.
Moreover, some of the entrepreneurs observe the importance of FSSAI license in positive manner this license can be used as an effective marketing tool with the purpose of boosting up your business which can ultimately help in promoting sales. Some of the advantages of getting an FSSAI License are:
- Using the FSSAI Logo:
As soon as you get the FSSAI License, you can use the FSSAI logo on your menu cards and pamphlets to publicise your food’s superior excellencein comparison to others. Moreover, it gives you an advantage over the many food operators who are not having the food license. Hence, all the packaged food is required to have an FSSAI number. The logo of FSSAI is seen as a mark of validity and assurance to the final consumers. In fact, majority of the customers these days want to consume food products speciallywhich are having the license. It helps you in developing a brand name.
- Consumer awareness:
In this age of information, the consumers have now become more alert and educated for the kind and quality of food which they are consuming. With the increase in the number of diet food products and healthy lifestyle, consumer wants to be assure that the food is not of low quality. More so after the recent controversy with Maggi, consumers have started to take the food safety standard seriously. Thus, food products and packages which has FSSAI license can give you an added advantage of increase in the customer base.
- Legal Advantage:
Entrepreneurs and businessesthink that getting an FSSAI license is atime consuming, expensive, and an inconvenient process. Hence, they try to avoid getting the license. But, in reality, the process is not so burdensomeas the team of Registration SEVA can help you get the license with ease. The actual cost of getting an FSSAI License is much less than what you have to pay as penalties in case of non-compliance and not getting an FSSAI license. Hence, it is highly advisable to obtain a FSSAI License even before officially launching your business.
- Expansion of Business
When you think of expanding your food business or outlets, you can do so with the use of your FSSAI license. The license will help you to establish your reputation in the market and to grow your business in a new direction with ease. Moreover, the license helps in getting bank loans and funding which might be required for expansion.
It is believed that there are more than 5 crore food businesses in the country while only 33 lakhs of them are registered with FSSAI. The importance of the quality standard is ever-growing and it is beneficial in the short as well as in the long run for your business.
Who should obtain FSSAI License?
Every Food Business Operator needs to get licensed/registered under the FSSAI.
- FSSAI Registration is required by small businesses whose annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs per year.
- All food businesses exceeding the annual turnover limit of Rs 12 lakhs per year require a FSSAI License.
FSSAI State License and Central License are issued to food businesses based on the basis of their size of operation which may be medium scale or large-scale. Usually, large manufacturers, exporters, importers, etc. obtain Central Licence whereas mid-sized entities like transporters, traders, etc. need State Licence. The Food License is mandatory in case your business falls in any of the following categories:
Here below you can find the list of entities which mandatorily require the Food License to operate their business:
- Food sellers and resellers
- Dairy and dairy processing
- Food importers and exporters
- Food chains
- Processors like pickle and dry fruit maker
- Raw material suppliers to food businesses
- Retailers & establishments
- Transporters who transfer food from one location to another
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals or government institutions
- Packaged food manufacturers who produce ready to eat products.
Depending upon the type of FSSAI registration required for your food business, documents are categorised as below:
- For Obtaining an FSSAI Basic Registration
- Photo Identity proof of the Food Business Operator (FBO)
- Passport sized photograph
- Pan card of FBO
- NOC by Municipality/Panchayat, Health NOC, if any
- Declaration about the Business details in Form A
- Proof of possession of business premises
- Certificate of Incorporation /Partnership deed / Articles of Association etc
- For Obtaining an FSSAI State & Central License
- Duly completed and signed Form-B
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit (Manufacturing and processing unit only)
- List of Directors / Partners / Proprietor / Executive Members with contact details and photo ID (Companies only)
- Details of the machinery to use for operations (Manufacturing and processing unit only)
- List of Food categories to be manufactured (Manufacturing unit only)
- Authority letter from the manufacturer in favour of the nominated person with authority
- Analysis report of water to be used in the manufacturing of food items (For Manufacturing and processing units)
- Proof of possession of premises
- Partnership Deed/Affidavit of Proprietorship/MOA /Incorporation
- Copy of certificate obtained under the Coop Act (Co-operatives only)
- NOC & Copy of License from the manufacturer (For relabelers and repackers only)
- Food Safety Management System plan and Recall Plan (If applicable)
- Source of milk and meat (If applicable)
- NOCs from Municipality or local body
- Certificate provided by the Ministry of Tourism (HRACC). (Mandatory for Hotel Only)
- Form IX
- Additional Document for Central License
- Declaration Form
- Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU
- Supporting documentary proof for Turnover
- NOC/PA document issued by FSSAI
- IE CODE document issued by DGFT (For exporters and importers)
As per FSS Act, 2006 every Food Business Operator in the country is required to be licensed/registered under the Food Safety &Standards Authority of India. The licensing and registration procedure and requirements are regulated by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of food Business) Regulations, 2011.
Basic Registration for Petty Food Business
Registration is meant for petty food manufacturers that includes petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or a temporary stall holder or small or cottage scale industry having annual turnover up to 12 lacs. All food businesses having income more than this limit are required to take a license. Let’s dig deeper to understand the process of getting a Basic FSSAI Registration:
Every petty Food Business Operator shall register themselves with the Registering Authority by submitting an online application in Form A along with the indicated fees.
After filling the application in Form A, a unique application reference number will be generated.
After due verification, Registering Authority (RA), may grant the Food License. If granted, FBO can immediately start the business. If the application is rejected it shall be intimated by the Department within seven days from the date of submission of the application and should be intimated in writing.
The registration certificate granted by the Department after accepting the application shall contain the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
At the time of carrying on the food business, the Food Business Operator should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business.
Process to obtain State and Central License
To obtain an FSSAI License, the Food Business Operator shall:
- Make an application to the Licensing Authority for registration on the website of FSSAI online.This application is made in food license application Form B.
- The application should be annexed with self-declaration, affidavit, and Annexure as applicable.
- This license is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years as the time limit requested by the food business operator.
- Higher the period for which license is obtained the higher would be the application fees.
- The license can be renewed by making an application.
How can we help in getting registration?
We, at Registration SEVA, provides an end-to-end service and solution for food licensing and FSSAI registration. We promise following to each and every proposed Food Business Operator:
- FSSAI Registration within the minimum time
- Step by step help with FSSAI online application filling
- Direction on picking the right food license type
- Hand-holding through the entire registration process.
- Solution to all your questions and concerns and best customer support
01.What is FSSAI?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a regulatory authority established under Food Safety and Standard Act 2006 for laying down scientific standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import, to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
02. What are the types of FSSAI Food License?
The types of FSSAI Food licenses are:
- Basic FSSAI Registration- Annual turnover of less than Rs. 12 Lakhs
- State FSSAI Licence- Annual turnover between Rs.12 Lakhs- Rs. 20 crores
- Central FSSAI Licence- Annual turnover more than Rs.20 crores
03. What is the validity period of FSSAI License?
The License is valid for the period it is issued unless it is cancelled by the FSSAI. An application for renewal must be made before the expiry of the License. It can be renewed for a maximum period of five years
04. license is required by a food business operator to run a food business in more than two states?
Food Business Operator operating in more than two States has to get Central License for its registered Office/ Head Office and separate license/ Registration for each units depending upon the capacity/ turnover from the concerned State/ Central Licensing Authority.
05. Do medical stores need to get a license if they are selling dietary foods and Neutraceuticals?
All FBO including medical stores have to get FSSAI license/registration.
06. Whether NOC from FSSAI is required for export?
No NOC is required to be taken from Food Safety and Standards Authority of India for exporting food products from India.
07. What are the requirements for License of different kind of activities at same premise?
FSSAI license is a premise based license. Multiple kinds of activities carried out at the same premise can be endorsed in the single FSSAI license.
08. Is it necessary to display the FSSAI logo and license number on the label of food package?
Yes, it is mandatory to display the FSSAI logo and license number on the label of the food package. This is a mandatory condition under the guidelines issued by the FSSAI. In addition to that for imported food products, the importer shall display the name and address on a sticker to be affixed to the product before customs clearance apart from the FSSAI logo and license numbers.
09.Do I need to apply for an FSSAI license, if I am planning to sell some homemade stuff online on a very small scale?
Yes, you need to have a FSSAI registration only if your business is on small scale and turnover is between 0-12 lakh.
10. I want to renew my license. How is it done?
Registration SEVA will help you to get a new license as well as license renewal. You just need to provide your old license to us. It can be done prior to 30 days of expiring of the current license.